U.S. exhibitor (theatrical) digital screen current and future growth, plus transactional online movie consumption (digital rental and digital retail) grew by over 135% from 2008 to 2009 and will more than triple by 2012. According to the MPAA, by the end of 2009 worldwide digital screens reached more than 16,000, up a staggering 86% in just one year. What this offers the smaller indie producers are in essence a new world of do-it-yourself (DIY) distribution models:
- Ability to focus on niche and crossover global audiences
- Direct to consumer and retail sales
- Flexible release strategies
- Release alternatives to the expensive theatrical model
- Hybrid distribution by splitting rights in which producers enter distribution deals with companies to uncross and maximize revenue.
DIY-distribution does take time, effort and money. If you are planning to DIY-distribute your film in a serious way, promotion and marketing are key.
The Gillen Group can assist you in the following ways:
- Advice you to different Distribution Models & Hybrids
- Set-up and Manage your DIY Distribution
- Introduction to Alternative and Independent VOD Organizations
- Targeting Niche Audiences
- Marketing Strategies
For more information or to make an appointment please contact us directly at 310-286-9000 or by email at email@example.com